What is Career Guidance?
Career guidance is about equipping you with the necessary knowledge, skills and values to make informed decisions at key stages in your life. This can include transitioning from school to further education or work, seeking promotion within your current organisation or perhaps following a redundancy.
What can Career Guidance do for me?
A few sessions with an experienced and qualified career coach can help you better understand yourself, your preferences, your values, talents and what motivates you. A customised career transition plan can then be developed especially for you.
What are the specific services included in career guidance?
- Access to two online psychometric assessments to discover the careers that best suit your interests and personality preferences
- Exploration of your career options and assistance in developing an action plan
- Strategies to assist you in getting your ideal job
- Assistance with your CV including how best to customise it for specific positions
Assessments can be a great starting point and the results can help you think more deeply about your own personal preferences and career interests.
The two formal assessments are the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator® or MBTI® and the Strong Interest Inventory® or SII®. Undertaking both assessments will provide you with a complete career development picture based on the combined interpretation of your interests and personality.
Strong Interest Inventory®
What is the Strong Interest Inventory®?
The Strong Interest Inventory® was developed by psychologist, E.K. Strong, Jr. in 1927 with the purpose of helping individuals exiting military service to find suitable occupations. Today, the Strong Interest Inventory is based on John Holland’s theory of occupational themes. Work environments are classified into six different theme codes — Realistic, Investigative, Artistic, Social, Enterprising, & Conventional (RIASEC). Generally, the Strong gives each test taker a three-letter code representing their highest matches.
Why should I take it?
The Strong Interest Inventory® is a helpful tool if you are uncertain about your career interests. It connects your interests with possible career options and categorises your interests based on four different scales: General Occupational Themes, Basic Interest Scales, Occupational Scales, and Personal Style Scales.
How do I use the results?
The Strong Interest Inventory® generates a list of your top ten basic occupations and these results can give you new ideas and occupations to consider as you continue your career exploration and planning.
Myers-Briggs Type Indicator®
What is the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator®?
The MBTI® is an assessment that aims to measure your personality preferences along four different dichotomous dimensions. It assists people to answer the following questions:
- Where do you focus your attention and/or get your energy?;
- How do you prefer to take in information?;
- How do you make decisions?; and finally,
- How do you organize the world around you?
Isabel Myers and Katharine Briggs extrapolated these dimensions from Carl Jung’s theories regarding psychological types. Myers and Briggs believed that in order to have a more satisfying life, people needed to better understand themselves allowing them to choose an occupation which better suited their personality.
Why should I take it?
The MBTI® is one of the most widely used instruments. Many people find it useful as a way of understanding themselves, as well as their commonalities and differences with others. Not only is it often used as a tool for self-understanding and career development, but many organisations also use this assessment for the purposes of team building, management/leadership training, and to help recognise differences in communication styles – all of which have direct implications during every phase of one’s job search.
How can I use the results?
The MBTI® will not spell out specific career paths you should choose; however, your results can assist in considering pros and cons of different employment sectors/occupations and how well they match with your personal preferences.
Why use both assessments?
Combining the two highly respected and long-standing assessments will provide you with a powerful toolkit in planning your career. You’ll receive a list of occupations that would work with your Strong Interest Inventory® preferences and MBTI® personality type, along with associated tasks and certain knowledge or techniques pertinent to success in each occupation.
Furthermore, the report offers strategies for getting your ideal job, whether you’re starting out in the career world, considering a career change, or looking to better yourself at your current place of employment.
Cheryl McCormack is an expert in the world of work with a wealth of experience across many sectors including education, retail, wholesaling, not for profit, and recruitment. Cheryl is a certified practitioner of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator® and the Strong Interest Inventory®.
After hours appointments for consultations over the phone or online via Zoom can be arranged.
You can access your career guidance coaching via these options;
- A 50% payment is required prior to the initial consultation session and receipt of the assessment links
- You will receive an invoice via email and payment can be made by bank transfer
- The remainder of the service fee will be due and payable prior to the commencement of the ‘follow-up’ or ‘Interpretation & Feedback’ consultation
- Additional Consultation sessions can be organised at the cost of $295 inclusive of GST per hour for face-to-face and $195 inclusive of GST per hour for online and phone consultations
- For On-line Consultations, a Zoom link will be emailed 24 hours prior to the meeting time and it is your responsibility to ensure you have the appropriate equipment i.e. (computer/mobile/tablet with camera and audio) available in a quiet setting. There is no cost to you for this link.
- Phone Consultation calls will be made at your cost, a mobile number will be provided for you to call at the time of your agreed appointment.